Thursday, July 5, 2012

Holiday

We have had some friends of my husband arrive this week, and it has completely changed the dynamic of the house.  It is one of his best friends in the world, his wife, and their 2 kids who are 7 & 9.  Sofie took about 4 hours to warm up to the girls, and now they are best friends.  It amazes me that the kids can play together while still speaking different languages (Norwegian vs English/Chinese).  My conversational Norwegian is pretty rusty, and I am working on it.  The adults do speak a bit of English, but they really want to speak Norwegian because you know.. they are from Norway.  Why would you speak a different language to your husband & husband's friend, right?  It was totally crazy when they first got her on Monday because I had just returned from Paris, and I could remember no words.  What came out when I tried to talk was a smattering of English, French, Spanish and Norwegian, with the occasional Chinese for good measure.  I have swiss cheese for brains.

Anyway, I have everyone fooled that I understand what the *blink* they are talking about - ok - sometimes I do- but after 6 hours I just get a headache and need to hide out.  Yesterday was long.  I took today and tomorrow off too so I could spend some quality time with the family and I am not sure how I am going to make it through.  I need to just stop being a baby and get on with it.

The good news is that Sofie wants to be just like the other grown up girls, and so she has moved forward again with her eating/temper tantrums/sleeping/etc.  To be honest, with 2 grown up girls, she is having the time of her life keeping up with them.  If one feels worn out, she can just be active with the other one.  Totally ideal situation.

Anyway, headed to Galveston. Have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment