Saturday, September 1, 2012

Homecoming

It was wonderful to be picked up at the airport by my husband and Sofie.  This weekend is a holiday in the US, and Sofie's school was off yesterday.  My plane was early from Newark, and the family had just pulled into the passenger pickup area when I made it out the door since I didn't check bags.  I got a great hug and kiss from my husband, and tossed my carry-on's in the back of the car.  I walked over to Sofie's door, opened it, and got the best hug and kiss.  As a little surprise for her, I walked over to the other side of the car and sat in the back seat with her the entire way back home.  She didn't say a word to me and was just staring at me with a shy smile on her face.

She got a haircut while I was out of town, and she really looks very China doll-like with her blunt bangs and shoulder length bob. I did get her to smile for real and talk a little bit in the car as we soared towards home.  At one point, I looked at the speedometer and we were going more than 80... it really was soaring!   When we got home, she was as happy as a clam.

It is good to be home with the family.  I was pretty jetlagged. The hubby took Sofie to the zoo while I napped after lunch and we had some good dancing sessions before dinner.  She crashed in about 10 minutes after 9:10... The hubby doesn't know what I do to get her to sleep so fast.  I just sing songs.  We have been singing "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and "On the Loose" and she just relaxes when she hears them.

Anyway, she had a rough night.  Something chases her in her dreams, and I don't think she hears us trying to help her/reassure her when she is where she goes at night.  It breaks my heart.  I am not sure what we can do for her environment so she knows she is safe.  I wish I could create a protective barrier for her so she has sweet dreams.  In the morning, she has no recollection and says she is happy.  I wish I could be as reassured in the morning when I have been rocking her screams and tears away for so many hours.  She is constantly kicking and slapping away her tormentor.  I wonder if teaching her karate during the day would help strengthen her defense at night.  I don't know.  Suggestions are welcome.

Anyway, today I have been a wreck since I didn't sleep last night, and I had a hard time waking up this morning. They let me sleep in and went swimming/noodling/shopping.  The jet lag still has his grips on me for sure.  I need to get my stuff together and am glad I have a long weekend to do it.

Have a good one.

2 comments:

  1. Have you asked your doctor about the sleeping issues? It sounds like night terrors to me Anyway, I read that it's typical around 2 or 3 for them to start. It's a problem with moving from one sleep stage to another, something gets interrupted in the transition, and without waking up, the kids freak out for about 15-20 minutes. They don't know you're there trying to comfort them, and they don't remember it. Anyway,I'd describe them to your doctor and see what he/she thinks.

    I'll bet that haircut is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doctor says she is having night terrors because she was sexually abused. We believe happened based on certain behaviors she has had when she is awake. It is very common throughout China - especially in the foster system. There is nothing we can do about it except give her extra love and hugs and support.

    She has them intermittently. Last night was a terrible night of definite night terrors where she woke up hysterical every 40 minutes after she finally fell asleep all night. She was punching, kicking, slapping, sobbing, fighting, etc from 11 - 7:40 am. We typically call the times where she looks like she is awake and exhibiting these behaviors as night terrors and the times where she is still sleeping as bad dreams. The "awake" stuff happened a lot a couple of months ago and last night. Before my travels, it was mostly limited to crying out in her sleep.

    The haircut was cute. See dancing video on FB for a picture.

    ReplyDelete