Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Transitions (again)

I know I have used this title before, but it is still apt so I am going to go with it.

Things have been so hectic since we got home.

So, yesterday we went to the doctor for a look & physical.  First, my doctor is the best doctor in the world. I had never seen her with kids, and she totally soothed our Sofie.  When she took out the scope they use for eyes/ears/throat/nose (forget the name), she did an amazing demo to show Sofie that she wouldn't hurt her with it.  It was amazing and almost made me cry.  Sofie was totally open to having the doctor check her out.  Good news - besides the tiny hole in her mouth & her nostril being slightly droopy, We have one healthy kid.  Her lungs are good. Her heart is good.  Her ears & sinuses & throat looked good. The organ check was good.  Her height/weight for a 2 year old was also great.  We did start our vaccinations (poor baby - 4 shots), and the doctor requested some blood drawn (she was such a trooper & the nurse practitioner did the blood draw quick & accurately on the first go. Yay).  All in all, our Sofie is in great condition.  I am still waiting for her to be put on our medical insurance so we can get moving on the surgery.  We also need to contact the Shriners with her updated birth certificate & certificate of adoption to get moving on that front.  But all in all, we are so lucky that she had someone loving her in China & helping her to develop & grow.  Also, good news - her Dad doesn't have strep. We thought he might because he has been sick since Friday & his throat has been getting worse and worse.  However, the test came back negative at the Dr. so he will just have to get better already.


I mentioned jet lag previously (we're still struggling with it),  and last night was a doozy.  Sofie's legs were in big pain, so much that she was limping, from the vaccinations.  She fell asleep at 10:30 pm, and she woke up at 1:45 this morning.  She felt terrible.  She was weeping from the pain, missing her foster granny, and just generally out of sorts.  She almost fell asleep 3 times but kept waking up right as her body relaxed and started the crying over again.  She probably fell asleep again at 4.  My heart was breaking that she was so sad.  I know these transitions take time, and I wish she wasn't suffering so.  She is a sweet little girl, and I wish I could fix it.  Time will fix this.  Think good thoughts that her transition will be as painless as possible from here on out.

So, I woke up this morning at 8:30 today, and I decided not to wake her yet.  I went downstairs to make my kale & egg omelette (I have been missing them), and her Dad was already down.  It was lovely to have a nice breakfast just the two of us.  We haven't had a lot of together time since Sofie because she ALWAYS has to be with me.  I know sooner or later she will convert fully to a daddy's girl, so I am relishing this time.  There could be some drama later today because I need to go get a reflexology treatment for my neck/back, and she will miss me while I am gone.  I am hoping they will figure out a truce.

So - in my lost post, I wrote about a funny situation I experienced in China before I left.  I just thought I should include it (for chuckle worthiness) as an end to the story.  It is a bit of potty humor for those weak at the thought of bowel movements.

When we first arrived in Taiyuan (where she is from), her Dad and I went on a walk around town.  We were walking back to the hotel when we passed a little tyke (probably 1 year old), whipping off her pants and squatting next to a light post at a bus stop.  The mom was standing next to her, giggling as the little child did her business.  Her Dad and I were a little shocked and appalled at that point and shook our heads a bit.

Fast forward to a week later when we were in Guangzhou at the 4th floor children's play center at the hotel.  Sofie was playing on the slides, and we thought we might have heard the chinese word for potty as she was climbing up the slide.  We gestured to go for a walk to the potty, but she shook her head and kept playing on the slide.  We thought we misheard.  However, 20 minutes later, while we were playing tag, she ran to the side of the play area next to the trees, whipper her pants off, and proceeded to take a pee before we could do anything.  She went A LOT.  On padded tiles that were outside.  In front of other parents.  It was cringeworthy.  They laughed.  Now, I take her every hour on the dot whether she wants to go or not.  LOL.

We had another incident a couple days later at the hotel.  I was in the bathroom doing #2 and she heard me fart.  She ran into the room, brought down her pants, and squatted quickly over a pile of used towels in front of the shower.  I stood up real fast, said "no", lifted her up, put her on the pot, and she proceeded to go #2 too, with a gigantic pile of poop.  I was thankful I moved so fast because THAT would have been a mess.  Can't even contemplate.

Since we got home, we bought her a princess potty so she can go when she is ready.  She has mastered that one for during the day for sure.  How do you sterilize it?  Bleach?  Blech.

Anyway, I hope you are having a wonderful day. I am going to wake the princess soon.


1 comment:

  1. Now I'm laughing out loud here!
    I guess you can use anything strong to sterilize the potty. We use the same "soap" we use to clean the toilet.

    I feel so bad for her when she miss her chineese friends and "family". But she is in the best house now, with the best family ever!!

    It was great to see and talk to you last night! The feeling of finally seeing Sofie, and seeing YOU as a Mom....beyond anything I've expected.

    Se is so gorgeous. I am madly in love with her!! Being an aunt is ALMOST as good as being a Mom. :D
    I can't wait to see you in person and up close. And to spoil Sofie rotten! ('cause that is an aunt's prerogative!!)

    I love you all a lot. I know Sofie's not much for hugs and kisses, but slip in a kiss or two from me anyway!

    Looooove, Hilde

    ReplyDelete