Sunday, December 4, 2011

At home

When my sister said it had been a week already since I posted, I told her she was crazy, but I realize she is right. I had written another entry, and I thought it sent, but it looks like it was lost in the ether forever (on the Chinese network)...

Our time in Guangzhou went fast. The Marriott felt like paradise after Taiyuan. You could see across the street. It was warm. The room was bigger. There was an outside playground for 1-6 year olds on the 4th floor. It was good. We completed her medical exam and consolate appointment with no problems (but lots of crying).

The 26 hour journey home (not counting drive to airport/wait to leave/baggage claim) was long and arduous. Sofie was a trooper for the first and last flight. The middle one was hell (12 hour leg). She cried off and on for 12 hours. Within 10 minutes of boarding the plane, the flight attendants wanted to gag her. It only got worse.

Anyway, we made it home. When Sofie saw her room on Thursday night (12:00 am ish), her reaction was fantastic. The mural was so worth it. She knew the room was hers. She played with all her toys. She had the biggest grin on her face I have ever seen.

Since we got home, we are dealing with jet lag. Not only ours, but hers too. It is awful. She is wide awake at midnight, dead tired at 10 am, and kind of fuzzy until 5 pm. I grossly underestimated how long it would take for her to adjust - and, when she wakes up, she has to have Mama, so I am on call. Before my nap at 10:30 today, I think I grossed 10 hours of sleep between wednesday and Sunday. She needed a nap bad this afternoon and I slept too and added another 4 hours to my tally. Bliss.

She had a real big homesick moment this morning before her nap because I played some Chinese children songs (in Chinese) and she wanted to go home & wanted here foster mommy.

I'm hoping that she will start calling for Papa some of the time so I can go to the bathroom alone, but I know that is a lot to ask of a 2 year old... Maybe someday.

We see the doctor tomorrow to start working on the medical plan.

I had funny stories in my lost post, and I will try to write it again soon.

Sent from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. my eyes get teary, and my heart heavy when i read about sofie crying on the plane. maybe she knows she is leaving her birthplace, and do not know when she'll be back. but we know she is one very lucky girl on this incredible journey. and to have you both as parents by her side all the way.

    hugs & love

    ReplyDelete