Monday, April 29, 2013

Another one?

As busy has life has been, the thought of a second child has been floating around in my head for several weeks.  I first had the thought the day after we got Sofie... but it was too soon.  As we adjusted to one another, the thought remained, but I put it off.  We weren't ready for another child.  I went back to work, and I couldn't imagine the thought of handling two at a time.  I got sick and had a lot of time at home, and I imagined what the second one would be like.

We started looking into it again with China, and it will be exactly the same process.  It is likely it will take another 2-3 years, and if we plan to do that, we should have started yesterday.  Also, we would have to do special needs again (not that there is anything wrong with special needs... Any newly adopted child has special needs compared to a child that has been with you since the beginning).  The cost is frightening (again).

We also have the option to adopt locally, but there is always the uncertainty that the birth parents will change their mind.  It also could take quite a while.  And most of the children up for adoption in our region (per the adoption agency we spoke with) are a result of not pleasant circumstances most of the time.  Of course there are exceptions.  In some ways, it is a relief not to know where Sofie came from.

We got an email this week from Children of All Nations, and Haiti has opened up.  They also posted a video about international adoptions (http://vimeo.com/59302895) that made me want to do it even more.  There are so many children out there who we could help.  The politics make it hard, but for me it is all about love and opening your heart.   So, a little boy or girl from Haiti is on my mind tonight.  It would be wonderful to have a brother or sister for Sofie.  I think our family would be an amazing spot for at least 1 more child.  I don't know how we would handle work, play, etc. with another kid; things are already hectic and harried.  Everyone else seems to be able to do it, so why not?

On the other hand, part of me want to do a career change, and having another child would definitely put me on the back burner. I would also like to relocate to a less polluted more outdoorsy-friendly place.  It is hard to prioritize when you want so many things. :) I am blessed to have so many options.  I also don't know which way is up.  Hopefully the path will become more clear in coming weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment