Wednesday, June 20, 2012

7 months now, Baby

It's been awhile. Time just rushes by in a blink of an eye.  I don't know how long it has been since I wrote - too long.

We had a nice trip home to see family a couple weeks ago.  Sofie is in love with her cousin and they were awesome together, holding hands, running through sprinklers, pointing at huge bigger-than-life bugs... We never could get a good picture of them together, but they look just like those greeting cards with the kids holding hands.  My sister in law commented that it would be funny if they got married.  I am just happy to see those kids so happy.  I am relieved that Sofie can be so happy since the transition has had its ups and downs.

Sofie also enjoyed seeing grandma, grandpa, the great-grandmas, great-grandpa, aunts, uncles, cousins, 2nd cousins, great aunts/uncles, etc.  It was a good time.  She slept through the night after the first night of night terrors.  She loves airplanes.  She is that kid on the plane I used to curse about who screams her head off and bounces.  She is a kicker too.  After the people in front of us reclined 100% for a 2 hour flight, I didn't care anymore.  Chocolate kept her at bay for part of the flight but by the time we got home, she was WIRED!

Today is the official start of month 7.  I can't believe this transition.  She is joyous during the day most of the time.  She is as smart as a whip according to unnamed house guests with recent 2 & 3 year old exposure.  She also has been assessed by a kindergarten teacher relative who is very impressed with Sofie's fine motor & counting skills. She has been moved to age appropriate kindergarten.  She continues to grow up.  Her hair is positively stunning.  Her language skills are getting pretty good.  We still need the speech therapy, but we understand her a lot more of the time.  The other day, she shocked the heck out of us when she said clearly, "Mommy, I need medicine! PAIN medicine..."  (we were trying to figure out where she got that, and my mom takes credit because she had rotator cuff/ruptured biceps surgery twice (long story) last month and was liking the pain meds while we were home)...

It totally floored us.

She has totally taken to our houseguest for these last 2 weeks and has the best time with him.  He has a 3 year old at home and says that they couldn't be more different.  He plays with Sofie for hours, but he is looking forward to going home where his daughter is less active and watches tv.  Sofie wears him out.

The night terrors are intermittent.  I am trying different techniques but their frequency does seem to depend partially on how tired she is.  Hopefully they will pass.  Last night I got 6 consecutive hours of sleep before she woke up (unbelievable... it has been 7 months since that happened!), and I didn't know what to do with myself at 4 am when she woke up and cried.  I thought about doing yoga, reading a book, exercising, walking, going to work early... and laid there for a whole other hour fantasizing... LOL.  until I drifed off to sleep, and then my alarm went off.

I am enamored with this kid and am so thankful we got matched.  Yes, she has her funny things ("Mommy, I need medicine..." she says this a few times a day.... I have slipped her fresh vegetable juice, ginger juice, tictacs, vitamins, kefir, and fruit juice under the guise of medicine since she is so relentless in her quest...) but she is awesome and I am so glad we got her.  I believe in fate & miracles & the power of good.

I am headed to France in a couple days and don't know how THAT transition will go because my trip is longer than last time, but hopefully we will skype and everything will be ok.

Hugs to all.  Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment