Thursday, November 24, 2011

Day ... I lost count due to sleep deprivation

Sofie is a nut. I have been sleeping with her because her foster mommy slept with her. Somehow through the night we went from parallel to her perpendicular across the top of the bed, head to head. Her dad got the biggest laugh this morning when we woke up.
Also, our Sofie is a big mimic, and she utilized my low tech technique of opening foil sealed bottles by stabbing them with a pen or spoon this afternoon. She is a clever girl. He blames me. She also discovered chocolate today because her dad shared, and she immediately confiscated every bar in the room and tried to put them in here backpack to indicate to us that they were hers from now on. She is so funny.
We had been told that she liked noodles, and we tried and tried to get her to eat them but she wouldn't touch them. Then today, we went to a noodle place outside the hotel and she ate them with gusto. The hotel's food sucks. Might have to eat it tonight again though.
Her energy is AMAZING. I have no idea how we will subdue her for 26 hours to get home. She has temper tantrums when we try to calm her down for 5 minutes. We will do a dry run tomorrow on the flight to Guangzhou.
It will be wonderful to get out of Taiyuan. Today the visibility was less than 20 yards. When I breathe in, I have pain in my lungs. I am not sure what the altitude is, but wow. Bad news. I am so glad we are rescuing this little girl from this environment.
Anyway, I should probably get the room cleaned up for when her dad comes back. Happy turkey day.
Sent from my iPad

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving me a laugh today! :D I can imagine her with the chocolate!! LOL
    (And when she tastes the NORWEGIAN chocolate I'm sending for christmas, she will be completely an addict! :D

    Welcome to the exercise of parenthood! Those 2-year olds could run an entire energy factory with just running!!!! And belive me... when she get's warmer and more relaxed with you and the enviroment...it will be worse! LOL

    But it's so worth it!
    I hope you'll manage to get her into her own bed in time.
    Big kisses to Sofie, and hugs for you and Espen.

    Lots of love,
    Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! It sounds like she knows some English, or is she mimicking? I'll bet the throwing things is typical toddler. X already chucks his pacifier sometimes. Happy Thanksgiving and good luck on your plane ride back to Taiyuan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sally, the 26 hour ride home will be an adventure. But airline stewardesses usually love kids. Take plenty of water bottles, crackers,fruit,nuts, raisins, marshmallows anything you can hand her to keep her quiet. Cody loves my Ipad as Ive downloaded all kinds of kids games, movies, songs, books, etc to it for them to play with on planes. Im positive there are chinese language disney movies you can download to it that might keep her entertained for 20 minutes at a pop. Unfortunately Cody isn't affected by benadryl so I cant make him sleepy....... You guys are doing well it sounds like, especially with a 2 year old. They are hard to communicate with regardless of a language barrier.....Leslie A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les, thanks for the tips. what games does a 2 year old like for iPad? I haven't found one yet but will try anything.

    Tara, I think we re mostly communicating by tone of voice at the moment.

    ReplyDelete