Saturday, December 2, 2017

Injuries and Walking the line

Any exercise plan is risky for me with my multiple time blown out knees, broken ankles (both), twisted ankles, dislocated ankles, lower back issues, neck issues, shoulder issues, tendinitis, and COPD. 

At the beginning of 2016, I had gotten a membership at a gym near work, and I would work out at lunch time that year. Then I broke my ankle and paused it.

After I finished up PT, I tried to resume but by then, I had a new manager, and he really liked lunch meetings or 1:00 meetings.  Then, we added team members in India, and suddenly my schedule wasn't working.  I tried getting to the gym by 5:30 in the morning and working out, but getting up at 4:45 to be out the door by 5:00 to get to the gym by 5:30 didn't work. We also had a lot of behavioral issues at home because Sofie really needed to see me before school to feel secure.  I tried working out after work, and I started getting home at 7 pm which was way too late, and (again) I would end up missing out on my Sofie time.  I gave up in July.

After that I tried walking (and Houston in the summer is BRUTAL).  I had been trying to walk 10k steps per day, and I wasn't getting the satisfaction from it that I expected.  Also, it was REALLY hard to get home before dark after daylight savings, and I can't walk alone in the dark in my neighborhood.  If we had a dog I could, but the hubby is so anti dog. 

I started body building again a few weeks ago when I got a clear message from the universe.  I was feeling down and like my life and health were out of control, and it was a way for me to feel strong and like I achieved something during the week.

I looked up my old trainer from my crossfit days, and I found out she is coaching at a gym that is location friendly.  She was willing to work a deal with me so I could afford to workout 3 times a week in group training sessions, and I was elated.

The first visit was so exciting, I was high for days. I had forgotten the rush of lifting.  I didn't sleep that first night.  Of course I was being a bit cautious, but I discovered I hadn't lost that much strength since summer and I was still strong.  I did a back/chest day and it was amazing. Then I did a leg/core day, and I was so strong & stable.  The next week, the program changed (we are doing 3 week program progressions), and we do chest/shoulders, arms/back, legs/core and it was fine. I get 'medical' massages every couple of weeks and she broke up the fascia just fine.  Then this week, everything started to get out of whack.  I used to struggle with my hips and keeping my sacrum aligned, and I had a little flair.  Then my feet started to really hurt.  I did a lot of ankle stretching to try to loosen things up.  Then, on Thursday, I had been sitting at my desk too long, I guess, and when I tried to walk to the car to head home, I had major knee instability.  I haven't had knee problems in years (*knock on wood*).  Also my lower back/hips felt super tight.

I came home and I lay on a foam roller for a few minutes. I did butt stretches and runner stretches and hip realignment exercises.  I did lower back exercises.  I stretched my calf someone. I stretched the hamstrings and the quads, and I still felt scared trying to walk down the stairs when I got home.  I ended up going to my evening workout session, and it worked out the back stuff but my knee was still a wildcard.

This morning was leg day, and I wasn't sure I wanted to go. I almost chickened out. I went anyway and did a bunch of clamshells to warm up since a lot of the muscle stability in your knee is related to your hips and ankles.  I mentioned to the trainer I was having issues, and we worked out a new program for the day. By the end, my knee felt better than it did before we started for sure.  After 8 hours, I have stiffened up again on my knee, and I am starting to feel my hammies and quads a bit too much.

I want to be strong and fit, but challenging myself or doing too much cardio tends to lead to injuries.  I will continue to walk the line with this, but it is hard. and scary. and I don't want to be hurt anymore.  and I want to lose at least 100 pounds but my metabolism is pretty much dead.  Sometimes it feels pretty hopeless. People see me and they think I am slovenly and lazy because I am so overweight. I wish it could have been different.  I will keep trying to conquer this.

No comments:

Post a Comment