Friday, January 10, 2014

Bicycle built for 2

Santa brought the best present ever to our house this Christmas - an attachment to make my bike a tandem bike!  It is called a WeeRide Co-Pilot Bike Trailer, and it is amazing.  I am relatively unskilled with tools, though I can follow assembly instructions pretty well.  I do have a lack of tools in the garage though - I have a couple screw drivers, an adjustable wrench, and a hammer.  Anyway, in about an hour, I was able to transform my bike into a multiple person machine.

Sofie was going absolutely bananas while I was putting it together because she was SO EXCITED to go on a bike ride with mommy!

Once we finally had everything connected & checked by my neighbor, the engineer, Sofie and I went for a test ride.  She got on first (in the back) and then I got ready to get started.  We established our language for "all systems go" confirmation, and we started to move! I got about 75 yards, and Sofie shouted "Stop! Stop! Stop!".  I pulled over, and she told me that she wouldn't go any farther.  She was scared.

We talked it through.  I promised I would take care of her and that it would be ok.  She said she was scared.  I asked her if I had ever let her down & not taken care of her ( I know - risky question for a 4 year old who has temper tantrums still a few times per week), and she said no.  I asked her if she trusted me, and I said yes.  I reassured her we would only go around the block, and she gave me confirmation we could go again.

So... we made it all the way around the block.  Once we were in the driveway, she jumped of the bike, soared into the sky with her hands in the air and whooped "I'M AAAAALLLLIIIIVVVVVVEE".  My neighbor and I had a great laugh.  It was so surprising.  Who knew that she had an idea of life and death?!

Since then, we have gone on many rides on the amazing Houston bike trail system (who knew?!).  It is awesome.  If you like to ride, and you want to bring your pre-schooler, this is the solution.  And it wears them out if you ride long enough!  (and it is an amazing workout for you, because you are carrying an extra 65-80 pounds!).


No comments:

Post a Comment