Saturday, August 24, 2013

Saying goodbye to an old friend


On another topic, today is officially day 1 of the 'eat to live' plan. 

I have been doing the plan for the last couple weeks but I had a hard time committing to give up one holy grail addiction that seems to be pretty important - caffeine.  Let me just say, I love coffee. I love its warmth and dark flavor. I love the smell wafting from the coffee pot. I love selecting the right mug that meets my mood and pouring my brew slowly into the cup. Yes, I burn my mouth each morning with that first sip I can't resist. I love taking my time with that first cup in the morning. I will miss it. Decaf doesn't do it for me, unfortunately. I always get heartburn. 

The plan talks a lot about caffeine and it long term effects on the body. I want to be healthy and live as long as I can.

So, I gave it up the coffee cold turkey this morning.  I am feeling the effects of detox already and have a major headache. I am already tempted to make a quick, small pot... To just have a single cup to take the edge off the pain of giving up my morning companion.  They say the pain won't last and that I can do it. I will just have to do this one day at a time and hope for the best. 

Good bye old friend.

3 comments:

  1. If I can give up chocolate you can do this ;) K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some green tea this morning (which is recommended on the plan), and it definitely took the edge off the headache. Also I found some cardamom tea at the Mediterranean market and had a cup of that (think English breakfast tea + Norwegian boller). Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. When I've given up coffee it's taken about a week to feel normal.

    ReplyDelete