Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hmmm

This week, Sofie has been pretending that she has a little sister named Baby.  She actually started pretending with her Dad when they were playing at the park.  He actually told me which is even more surprising given the general reluctance to add to the family in the first place.

Last year when we got her, I was ready to start working on #2 straight away.  Now, I am open to it but I try to imagine how it will work - and how the child would find us (China, US, Africa, somewhere else).  It is a little daunting to think about starting over again.  Also, I don't know what age we would start with... if we do a local adoption, we could get a little baby, and that would be interesting.  We were at the doctor last week and there was the cutest little African American 9-month-old baby you ever saw.

Part of me also is interested in getting an older child, but that would be hard too.  I don't know how it would work.  I know that getting older children can be pretty complicated and that many of them don't work out.  I have some colleagues at work who foster-to-adopt and it has been real hard for them.  They thought they had a child and then the parents wouldn't relinquish rights and it has been awful for them and the child.

What to do?

2 comments:

  1. From our experience, it isn't that much easier the second time around and we're doing the exact same routine. Anyway, I have a couple suggestions for domestic infant adoption if you're interested in researching agencies.

    We thought about foster-adopt too, but it seems pretty intense from experiences from people we've met as well. A leap I'm not sure I want to make at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have any agencies that you would recommend, I am ready to start looking again. I am heavily leaning to a pay it forward organization down here,but I could look at other options. My best buddy at work had a baby this weekend (omg - what cuties newborns are... I saw him the next day and he was perfect)

    ReplyDelete